Monday, December 29, 2008

Good Friends Are Treasures

We had the privilege of visiting my home church this weekend. What a special treat. There is just something so "magical" about returning to your roots. To people who know you and all of your faults. To people who watched you grow up. To people who know that your daughter looks like you because they remember when you were her age. To people who love you unconditionally. It is always so refreshing. A time of renewal.

This visit was even more special because my best friend Angie's husband, Steve Hobbins, is now the pastor of my homechurch. We were going to leave on Sunday afternoon but decided to stay through Sunday night because we enjoyed the preaching so much.

This morning, I was able to see a friend I haven't seen in several years. He has been out of church for quite a while and just came back in the last six months. I was also able to see a good friend from high school, Karen. She and her husband have two children. In the picture below is me with my two friends Angie and Karen. We were all in one another's weddings. I get teary just thinking about all the great memories we have together and how we never get to see one another anymore. But as soon as we are back together, it like no time has elapsed at all. We just pick up where we left off.



For someone like me, who finds it very hard to get close to people, I treasure my "old" friends. As the children's song says, "Old friends...are gold!" I truly believe that. We had our ups and downs as teenagers, but came through it all in the end as friends. I will cherish this photo just as I cherish our friendship.

"If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone; one should keep his friendships in constant repair." ~ Samuel Johnson

"A friend is someone who sings your heart's song back to you when you have forgotten the words." ~ David Coppola, Ph. D.

Friends
A friend is someone we turn to when our spirits need a lift,
A friends is someone we treasure for our friendship is a gift.
A friend is someone who fills our lives with beauty, joy, and grace
And makes the whole world we live in a better and happier place.
-Jean Kyler McManus
Enjoy your friends today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message!