Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Traveling Takes Its Toll...

It started last night around 9:00. Tyler was just laying around. He even fell asleep leaning on my arm -- something an active 8 month old never does. I was a little worried, but thought that perhaps he was just extra sleepy from all the traveling. Lauren had thought that Tyler's head was hot earlier in the evening, but the girls are always thinking that somebody feels feverish, and Lauren is our resident hypochondriac, so....I dismissed it. Until he woke up at 1:00 very hot indeed. I gave him some Tylenol to comfort him and held him until he fell asleep. He didn't even want to nurse for an hour or so.


This morning, he nursed, threw it up, nursed some more, threw it up. And on and on it has gone all day. Derek is also throwing up. He can't even keep water down, and he's pretty upset about it. He threw his water bottle on the floor when I told him it would make him throw up again. I have a dilemma, though. I know how easily babies and little ones get dehydrated, but I don't know what to do about it. What are you supposed to give them to keep them hydrated when everything that goes down comes right back up within a matter of minutes? Any "seasoned" mothers out there with any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Two different renditions of the same photo. He just looks so pitiful.





3 comments:

  1. When my little one was sick like that, the doctor told me to just give them a teaspoon of liquid at a time, just as often as you think, maybe every 5 or 10 minutes. It really does work!! Just a little at a time keeps it in their system. I know that it doesn't sound very fun to just give them a tsp. every so often, but it is better than them throwing it up.

    liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried an enema? Not enough to make them go, just enough for them to be able to hold and keep them hydrated...maybe a bulb syringe for an older child; half that for a baby. Repeat every hour or so. The colon will absorb the liquid for hydration.

    Also, a warm or tepid bath with some lemon juice or even vinegar and epsom salts (equal parts...maybe 1/2 c. of each) would be good for eliminating toxins and bringing a fever down.

    Last idea is to use some activated charcoal (I just break open a capsule) in room temperature applesauce for the vomiting (or diahrrea, if that becomes an issue). Just a spoonful or so at a time as Liz suggested with the water.

    We'll be praying for them.

    Love,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to give you some of the same advice, but I won't bother. Instead, I'll be praying for you. Having sick babies is just no fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message!