Saturday, January 3, 2009

Our Mini-Honeymoon

Yesterday began with two more children waking up with fevers. We decided to wait until noon before deciding if we would still go away overnight. Neither one threw up, so we decided that it would still be safe to go, although I must admit that I felt like a terrible mother for leaving my sick children. But, I did ask them if it would be okay, and they both agreed that they would be fine. We had a wonderful sitter to stay overnight with them -- one who takes good care of them and also likes to have fun.

We ate at a restaurant there at the resort with three other couples who were also taking advantage of the free overnight stay. Our food took quite awhile (about an hour and a half) to cook, and there was a couple sitting behind us who took quite a liking to Tyler. They held and played with him for awhile, so we took their picture to email to them!


We had a couple of snacks, and Chad introduced Tyler (who has never had a bite of real food) to Twizzlers. He loved chewing on it, but threw quite a fit when Daddy finally took it away. :(



Sharing with Daddy


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
For as long as I can remember, I have struggled with my temper. Over the years, I have tried different things to get it under control. I have done studies on anger, I have read anger management books, I have gone to spiritual warfare counseling, I have typed out verses about anger and posted them around the house. I have generally devoted much time and energy to "fighting my anger".

These last few days, since I have been concentrating on patience, my anger has been the last thing on my mind. But, I have felt much more calm inside. There are, of course, other factors contributing to my calmness. However, I attribute much of the lack of tension inside to the fact that I have been concentrating on putting something positive into my life instead of removing something negative.

Several years ago in a sermon a preacher stated that sometimes, if we have had a parent with obvious flaws, we tell ourselves that we don't want to be like our parents. We sometimes put a lot of energy into thinking about the fact that we don't want to be like our parents. So much energy, in fact, that we become like the part of our parents that we disliked so much because we have concentrated so much on that part of them. Instead of focusing on our parents, we should be focusing on Jesus. The basic idea was that we become like whatever we focus on.

For the past several years I have been focusing on the wrong thing. I have been focusing on the undesired trait in my life instead of focusing on the desired trait.

Things have been so crazy around here that I haven't been able to post any verses or phrases around the house yet, but that is coming soon, hopefully this week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to go and enjoy each other and your little man. I always like getting away with just the baby for a change. It's fun for us to have people ask if it's our first and then suprise them with the actual number that we have at home, too.

    I have discovered the same truth that you shared. I never knew I had a temper until I had children. I, too, have fought my anger for years. One of my goals this year was to "conquer anger." Through seeking godly contentment, I have also watched my anger diminish greatly. Isn't God so good?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message!