Thursday, October 9, 2008

Tombs and Frogs

So what do frogs and tombs have in common? Brian Vest, that's what. Brian brought two frogs (toads, really) home last week and put them in a box and, of course, brought them into the house. Every time I tried to put them in the garage, he brought them back in the house. Now, these frogs were not quiet creatures. They were pretty noisy. They made little squeaking sounds all the time. Maybe they were sad, I'm not sure.
Anyway, on Monday, I noticed that one of the frogs seemed to be fairly still. Yep, you guessed it, the frog died. Brian was so upset about it when he realized it. He just kept carrying the frog around.
Tuesday the second frog died. I think that he had not fed the poor little things or given them any water, but he sure was surprised that they didn't make it! :)
Now on to the frogs and tombs. After school on Wednesday Brian asked me to teach him how to crochet. (He had taken yarn and a crochet needle to school with him.) I showed him the chain stitch. He practiced a little bit and then wanted to know how to make it bigger. When asked what he wanted to make, he said that he wanted to make a tomb for his frog to be buried in. Knowing how long it would take him to do this, I made it for him. It was just about big enough for the frog when Brian said, "Mommy, would you still crochet if the frog was inside of it?" I quickly said, "No!" Then, thinking there might be more to his thinking, I said, "Why?" Brian, "Because I wanted you to sew up the sides, let me put the frog in, and then sew it up the rest of the way." Of course, this is what we did. Below is a picture of our "tomb."

Brian gently holding his "tomb."

After all of that, Brian wants to find a nice place to bury his frog. He (Brian) is such a unique child. There is something special about him. Don't get me wrong, I think that all of my children are special, but God seems to have His hand on Brian in a special way. Chad and I sometimes look at each other and say, "How did we get him?" He's just really neat. To illustrate my point, he is crocheting in the above picture. He was asking me if I knew of any men who crocheted. I actually do, and they are not feminine in any way! He's determined to learn. I think he even took it to school with him today!

Hasn't God truly blessed us by allowing us the opportunity to know these precious little people and even have a hand in their upbringing. What an icredible opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message!