Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Time for Learning

Several years ago I had the privilege of being able to teach my children at home, and I loved every minute of it. Through a series of circumstances beyond my control, my children are attending a Christian school where their daddy is the principal. He teaches them Bible every day and often plays with them at recess. He also teaches the entire elementary gym. To me, I would rather have them home, but if they have to be in school, I'm glad Daddy is there with them.
Anyway, we put Meagan in kindergarten last year, and I really wish that we hadn't. She is doing fine, but my children that have been home until they were in second grade have done better overall (academically, socially, spiritually) than those who went to school earlier. So, we have decided that we are going to keep Lauren home at least through kindergarten and probably through first grade as well.

I just bought some books from Rod & Staff for preschool age. They are really just readiness books, but in just two days of schoolwork Lauren has already learned her right and left. She recognizes all of her numbers and some of her letters. Yesterday she was busily working at the table learning how to write the number two.




To me, there is nothing more rewarding than teaching your child...anything, anything at all. I love teaching them to read, to count, to cook, to set the table, to sort laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message!